About

Hillside Cemetery is a detached burial ground of St Michael & All Angels Church and is located on Sunderland Street, Houghton Le Spring.  Despite it being a detached burial ground it is better known as ‘Hillside Cemetery. ’ It was consecrated in 1854 by the Bishop of Exeter.  The first interment took place in September the same year. The cemetery was extended in 1894. This was also around the same time as the municipal cemetery on Durham Road was opened.  There are over 7000 people buried at Hillside.  It fell in to disrepair and became overgrown when the A690 was opened in 1960/70’s and Sunderland n became a dead end.

The new burial ground was required as there had been an outbreak of Cholera in the area and the churchyard which surrounds St Michael & All Angels Church was full.

The Friends of Houghton Hillside Cemetery were formed in December 2003.  The group was formed to assist in the general care of Hillside and also to try and restore it to its ‘former glory’.  There are details of several of the group’s projects detailed later in the site.